Changing of year seasons for the human organism can be a difficult period. During this period there is a lot of flu and colds, which can be quite annoying. It is very important that with the proper selection of foods we take care of the resistance of the immune system.
We all know that the foods that are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants are good for our health, but we must remember that all of these components work together and are interdependent.
If we want to understand the importance of consuming a variety of foods that strengthen the immune system, we must first understand some basic things about vitamins and minerals. The following list is short, but represents a base entangling processes taking place in the body:
- Glutathione is the most important molecule / antioxidant produced by virtually every cell in the body. It protects cells against free radicals, prevents aging and a number of diseases such as cancer, heart disease, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease etc.
- Vitamin A is also known as retinol or beta carotene and is essential for good vision, healthy immune system and cell growth
- B group vitamins are essential for energy production and the production of red blood cells. These vitamins can be destroyed by food processing and cooking. For pregnant women, it is highly recommended folic acid (folate).
- Vitamin C is an important antioxidant that strengthens the immune system, prevents cardiovascular disease, care for beautiful skin and helps to burn fat.
- Vitamin D is important for strong bones, since it facilitates the absorption of calcium and phosphate from food.
- Vitamin E protects the skin from ultraviolet light, and diseases, such as prostate cancer, and Alzheimer’s disease, but also prevents cellular damage from free radicals.
- Calcium is a mineral that is essential for healthy teeth and hard bones. The heart and the nervous and blood system for their operations also need calcium.
- Magnesium is a mineral that is essential for the functioning of the body. It regulates blood pressure, keeps bones strong and care about heart.
- Iron is a mineral needed for the formation of hemoglobin, which has a function to carry oxygen and certain enzymes in the body. It is also responsible for the metabolism of vitamins Group B.
Super foods that strengthen the immune system:
Superfoods that strengthen the immune system are acai berries, alfalfa, cranberries, camucamu, chlorine, maqui berries, mulberries, walnuts Pekan, wheat grass, passion fruit, rejs and shitake mushroom, goji berries, pomegranate etc. Below you’ll read more about super foods that fall into the top of the content of antioxidants and vitamins:
Acai berries are one of the richest in antioxidants and have earned a reputation on the scale “Oprah top 10 superfoods“. They grow in the Amazon jungle and in the Colombian Pacific coast. Due to the exceptional concentration of antioxidants are excellent tools to combat premature aging and protect the body against many diseases such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, and osteoporosis, increase energy levels, strengthen the immune system, regulate blood pressure, detoxify the body, improve digestion as well as care about skin.
Goji berries are one of the richest nutritive fruits on the planet. They are rich with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and proteins. Strengthen the immune system, improve vision, increase energy levels, regulate blood sugar, detoxify the liver, and much more. Only one cultivated strawberry may contain up to 21 minerals, including zinc, iron, copper, calcium, and 18 different amino acids. They are juicy, sweet, full-bodied – and above all healthy!
Rose hips contain plenty of vitamin C. It is recommended its consumption during a cold or flu, because it strengthens the immune system. It also contains antioxidants and vitamins A, D and E. It lowers cholesterol, balances blood sugar levels and relieves the symptoms of Osteoarthritis.